Your choices make a difference! Here are some easy ways you can help clean the air.
- Combine trips. Plan ahead and combine your errands into one trip, even on the weekends.
- Bike, walk or use public transit. Leaving your vehicle at home just one day a week for a year could save about 1,000 miles on the vehicle and $500 in total driving costs.
- Share a ride. Carpool or vanpool to your destination to reduce emissions and save on commuting costs by 50% or more. Register with 511NY Rideshare to find ride matches.
- Maintain your vehicle. A well-tuned vehicle with properly inflated tires reduces ozone-related emissions, saves gas, and means less traffic congestion due to breakdowns.
- Don’t top off your tank. Doing so could damage your vehicle’s evaporative system or cause a hazardous leak. When the gas pump stops, your tank is full.
- Cut back on idling. Instead of waiting in a drive-through lane, park and walk to your destination. Get the added bonus of exercise!
- Check the A/C. A lower air conditioning temperature uses more energy. At home, set your thermostat to 78 degrees and close drapes, blinds or shades during the day.
- Use safe products. Use environmentally safe paints and cleaning products to avoid unhealthy vapors.
- Spread the word. Tell family, friends, and co-workers about 511NY Clean Air. Help them take steps to improve air quality and protect public health.