Transit - Header
Commuter Benefits Program
Pay your mass transit and parking expenses through pre-tax payroll deductions. Your contributions will be deducted from your paycheck before taxes are calculated and withheld. This lowers your taxable income, so you save money on taxes!
You pay no extra fees. Montefiore pays WageWorks administrative fees on your behalf as part of your benefits package.
IRS limits on Monthly Reimbursement
The IRS establishes maximum monthly limits for qualified transportation expenses (which are subject to change). If your expenses exceed these limits, you can elect to have your total monthly commuting costs withheld from your pay, using pre-tax contributions up to the IRS maximum and then deduct the balance on an after-tax basis. That way, you can still enjoy the convenience of home delivery and automatic payments.
Qualified Transportation Expenses
You can save money whether you use mass transit, drive or a combination of both.
Eligible Expenses include: Bus and Subway Fares, Commuter Railroads (LIRR, MetroNorth, NJ Transist, etc), Ferries, Vanpools, Parking - at or near work or near transit.
Ineligible Expenses include: Gas, Mileage, Tolls (including EZ Pass), Taxis and Limousines, Parking near home, Commuter Airlines, Parking expenses for Montefiore facilities that are automatically deducted from your pay on a before-tax basis.
Transit - Intro
Transit and it's Advantage
We all know the drill: Wake up. Coffee. Sit in traffic. Repeat. Break the routine and take the stress out of your commute. Enjoy the ride on a train, bus or ferry. Or simplify your commute by biking or walking to work.
- Catch up on work, read a book, nap or relax.
- Get to know your neighbor, coworker, or that person you see on the bus every morning. You never know who you could meet on your commute!
- Avoid the cost of car ownership -- and the headache of maintaining your car -- when you take transit or bike or walk.
We can help you with
- Customized door-to-door itineraries.
- Access to our FREE Guaranteed Ride Program. We’ll give eligible candidates $300 a year in total ride credits* to use on a taxi, Lyft, or Uber ride to leave work in an emergency when you regularly take transit.
- Getting pre-tax benefits through your employer – we’ll talk to them on your behalf if they don’t already offer this.
What People are Saying
Starting my day with the subway and a walk instead of sitting in traffic has really improved my mood.
Last summer, I had to drive. I felt way more tired even though my commute took less time. I had to focus on the road, I couldn’t work while I was commuting. Now, if I want to work or nap, I can take the bus or train.