511NY Rideshare is New York's State's home for ridematching, commuter and traveler services that can help you find a smarter and greener way to get where you're going. We provide information and resources to help commuters, travelers and employers find easy, affordable, and appealing alternatives to driving alone. Whether you are looking for information on ridesharing, vanpooling, workplace commuter benefits, public transportation, bicycling, walking, or telework, 511NY Rideshare can help.
511NY Rideshare serves the entire state of New York, and we strive to provide localized information wherever possible. We are continually working with stakeholders and regional agencies to offer customized services to meet your travel needs.
511NY Rideshare is a vital feature of the free 511NY system that is building a smarter, multimodal transportation network coordinating road, train and bus information to get you connected to go. This smarter traffic system is a public benefit service sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation.
511 New York is the free, official one-stop, all-encompassing telephone and Web service offering information on transportation services and conditions throughout New York State. This information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
511 is the national three-digit phone number reserved for travel information. The phone service is an interactive voice system reachable by landline and cellular phones and driven by a user's voice or phone keys. A personalized TransAlert subscription service provides notifications of major incidents and can be customized to give alerts by county.
Service became available statewide in June 2009, with a mobile website, mobile applications for the BlackBerry and Android, and the MY511NY enhancements announced in 2010. Additional enhancements are expected throughout 2011.
New York State's 511 services aim to meet the specialized needs of commuters, long-distance and through travelers, tourists and commercial vehicle operators. With an easy way to find trip-planning resources, traffic conditions, weather updates and alternative transportation information, 511 NY helps you control your travel so you can travel smarter. Save time and money and reduce stress. The system helps all travelers, even those who don't use the service. When you and others use 511 NY to avoid a traffic jam, highway incident or other congestion, you reduce the traffic load at the problem location. Emergency responders can reach the scene more easily and drivers who are stuck in congestion caused by an accident can get out faster.
By making it simple for you to learn about and to start using alternative transportation options – such as carpools, vanpools, ride-sharing, buses, trains, ferries, bicycling and more; 511 NY can help to reduce overall traffic congestion, air pollution and energy use. 511 NY is groundbreaking in bringing together a multitude of transportation information available in New York State in one easy-to-use portal. With 511 NY, you no longer need many individual phone numbers and Web sites.
New York's transportation agencies, who provide the information that drives the 511 NY system, have made this service possible. 511NY was developed through the leadership of the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT).
The New York State Department of Transportation provides the 511 NY Web site for informational purposes only. The Department makes neither warranties, guarantees nor representations of any kind as to the content, accuracy or completeness of the information contained in either its Web site or in the sites of any links it provides herein.
What is the 511NY Rideshare Program?
What is the 511NY Rideshare System?
How do I register for the ridematching system?
How does the system work to match me with a ride?
How do I use the map feature?
What is a bike buddy?
What are some tips for ridesharing etiquette?
Does it cost anything to use 511NY Rideshare System?
Will my personal information be secure?
Thank you for using the services of the New York State Department of Transportation's (NYSDOT) 511NY travel information service. 511NY, including those websites, telephone, or mobile-based applications and services that are part of the program, is designed to make it easier and more efficient for individuals and businesses to access timely information about traffic and travel conditions in New York State. NYSDOT recognizes that it is critical for individuals and businesses to be confident that their privacy is protected when they use 511NY.
511 NY Disclaimer
New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) provides the 511NY Web site for informational purposes only. The Department makes neither warranties, guarantees nor representations of any kind as to the content, accuracy or completeness of the information contained in either its Web site or in the sites of any links it provides herein.
Web site materials are compiled from a variety of sources; they are subject to change without notice from the Department. NYSDOT is not responsible for the accuracy of the advertising for any commercial services or products contained herein.
The Department does not endorse services and products; no such endorsement should be implied by the presence of advertising on its Web site.
While the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) makes a concerted effort to ensure any electronic documents are accessible to all persons in accordance with 511 NY policy, it is possible, for a variety of reasons, that certain persons may in fact still encounter accessibility problems when utilizing our site.
If you have any questions or concerns about the accessibility of any part of this Web site please let us know by completing our Contact Us form or calling 511 and saying "Rideshare."
Terms and Conditions
511NY is operated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Do not use this website unless you have read these terms, and accept that they will govern your right to use and access our website and all the documents, links and information contained on it.
Redistribution or republication of any part of 511NY or its content is prohibited, including by such methods as framing, other similar methods or by any other means, without the prior express written consent of NYSDOT.
We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer 511NY, track user's movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information. Additionally, for systems administration, detecting usage patterns and troubleshooting purposes, our web servers automatically log standard access information including browser type, access times/open mail, URL requested, and referral URL. This information is maintained as confidential data and shall not be shared with third parties and is used only within the 511NY program for analytical purposes. Any individually identifiable information related to this data will never be used in any way different to that stated above without your explicit permission.
To contact the Web Master for queries, use the Contact Us form.
Liability and Indemnity
By accessing 511NY, you acknowledge that any use of or reliance on this website or any content shall be at your sole risk. 511NY makes no representations or warranties of any kind regarding the website and/or the content found in the website, including, with respect to the information provided by third party links, all of which are provided on an "AS IS" basis. This website contains materials, data and information which is provided, posted or offered by third parties, including third party provided content, and user oriented content. You agree that your use of 511NY shall not result in any claim being filed against 511NY, NYSDOT, its directors, officers, employees, agents and affiliates, with respect to any liability whatsoever that may be alleged to arise from any third party material, data or information provided for your use. Although NYSDOT attempts to provide a high level of service, it does not warrant that the 511NY service will be uninterrupted, timely or error free. By using this service you hereby agree to indemnify NYSDOT, its directors, officers, employees, agents and affiliates against any loss, damage or harm that you or anyone that you have either used the information for or provided the information to, has suffered in whatever manner or form, and regardless of howsoever the alleged loss, damage or harm is alleged to have been caused.
Copyright Notice – Copyright and other relevant intellectual property rights exist on all content relating to 511NY's services and the full content of this website. 511NY, including all content, is protected by American and worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. You agree to comply with all copyright laws worldwide in your use of this website and to prevent any unauthorized use of the content.
Trademarks ™ – The 511NY logo is a registered trademark. The transit agency names and logos used on this website are all trademarks of their respective owners. Such service names and logos may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part for any purpose, whether artistic, personal or commercial in nature. You are prohibited from using any trademarked material found within this site for any improper or illegal purpose and discovery of such an improper or illegal use may result in your IP address being permanently blocked and all access denied.
Reservation of Rights – 511NY's services, methods and processes may be covered by one or more patents or other intellectual property rights, and are subject to trade secret and other proprietary rights. 511NY and NYSDOT reserve all such rights.
Software – Any software, as well as any files or images generated by such software, code and data used or accessible through this website is the copyrighted work of 511NY. You may not attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up any part of this website.
511NY may be used only for a lawful and appropriate purpose by individuals seeking consumer traveler information. Subject to these Terms and Conditions, NYSDOT grants you access to view the content thereon, provided, however, that you may not, directly or indirectly:
- Remove, from any copy of the content, the copyright or other proprietary notices contained in the content;
- Sell, reproduce, modify or attempt to modify the content in any way or reproduce or publicly display, perform, or distribute or otherwise use the content for any personal, public or commercial purpose, including without limitation use of the content on any other website;
- Print or copy any of the HTML or other computer programs that are accessible on this website;
- Use this website in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair it;
- Interfere with the security of, or otherwise abuse, this website or any services, system resources, accounts, servers or networks connected to or accessible through this website or affiliated or linked websites;
- Disrupt or interfere with any other person's use of this website or affiliated or linked websites;
- Transmit on this website any materials that would negatively affect the functioning of it, including without limitation to, computer viruses, Trojan horses, worms or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files or computer programs, other similar kinds of activities or any acts that impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this website's infrastructure;
- Use any robot, spider or other similar kind of automatic program or device, or manual process to monitor, copy, summarize, or otherwise extract information from this website; or
- Transmit on, to or from this website spam, chain letters, junk mail or any other type of unsolicited mass e-mail. Links from 511NY
511NY is only responsible for its own content and does not monitor or review the content of other third party websites which are linked to and from 511NY. Opinions expressed or material appearing on such websites is not necessarily shared or endorsed by NYSDOT or 511NY, its directors, officers, employees, agents and affiliates and 511NY should not be regarded as the publisher of such opinions or material. Please be aware that 511NY is not responsible for the privacy practices, or content, of any third websites. Users are encouraged to be aware when they leave 511NY through a third party link, to read the privacy statements of all third party websites. Each user should evaluate the security and trustworthiness of any third party website connected to 511NY or accessed through this website, before disclosing any personal information to such a site. NYSDOT does not accept responsibility for, and shall not be held responsible for any loss or damage, regardless how it may have arisen and regardless of the kind or manner of the damages alleged to have occurred, howsoever caused, and alleged to have resulted from your disclosure to third parties of personal information.
Linking to 511NY Rideshare
511NY Rideshare welcomes legitimate and secure links to its home page. If you want to link to this website, you may do so, provided you agree to the link conditions described below. By establishing a link to this website, you will be deemed to have agreed that your site was established for a legitimate purpose, is secure and does not constitute a threat to any 511NY user and that you will abide by the following Link Conditions:
- A link may be established to the following home page of this website: https://rideshare.511ny.org/web/statewide-511ny-rideshare/. Links may not be established to any other pages on this website without 511NY's prior written permission.
- You acknowledge that all of the content appearing on the 511NY Website pages and the "look and feel" of the Web Pages belong to 511NY and that you will not at any time directly or indirectly contest or infringe upon these rights by either attempting to imitate, copy or substitute the look and feel of 511NY with any third party website as an overlay or substitution for any 511NY page.
- If you link to this website, your website:
- May not create frames around any part of this website or use other techniques that alter the visual presentation of this website;
- May not imply that 511NY is endorsing you, your company's products or services nor shall you imply or state that 511NY is endorsing any kind of political viewpoint, position, party, affiliation, group or organization and that your link will in no way include any references to or offer sales of any kind or type in violation of NYSDOT's rules and regulations or those of any affiliated public agency's laws, rules and regulations.
- May not imply an affiliation between your company and 511NY without the prior written consent of NYSDOT;
- May not misrepresent your relationship with 511NY or present false or misleading impressions about 511NY services; and
- May not contain materials that may be interpreted as distasteful or offensive and should be appropriate for all age groups;
- 511NY shall have no responsibility or liability for any content appearing on your website, which is a separate website and not part of the 511NY system;
- 511NY may at any time, in its sole discretion, immediately terminate your right to link to this website, with or without cause. If 511NY exercises this right, and gives you notice of such an action, you will immediately remove all links to this website; and
- 511NY may amend these Link Conditions at any time. You agree to abide by these Link Conditions and other legal terms and conditions on this website, as amended from time to time.
Changes to 511NY
NYSDOT may terminate, change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of 511NY, including removing, adding, modifying or otherwise changing any features and/or content at any time without notice or liability. NYSDOT reserves the right, but shall not be obligated, to correct any errors or omissions in any portion of 511NY at any time without notice to any 511NY user or third party linked to the website.
Changes to Terms and Conditions
511NY reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions from time to time as it sees fit.
511NY Rideshare Portal
The employer/university/partner portal is a personalized version of the 511NY Rideshare matching system, created free of charge, to match the look and feel of a company’s, university’s, or other partner’s existing website or program (to the extent that the company/university/partner desires and to the extent of the 511NY Rideshare matching system’s capabilities).
511NY Rideshare builds these personalized versions of the ride matching system in the form of a branded web site. The branded web site remains on the 511NY Rideshare servers, and the registrants who register via the branded web site will be housed in a database that is also located on 511NY Rideshare servers. The branded web site is maintained by 511NY Rideshare (NYSDOT and its program contractors), and 511NY Rideshare will make updates and revisions to the look, feel, and information posted as requested by the agency.
Development of a portal assumes the company, university, or partner has agreed to the following terms and conditions:
- Company/university/partner will provide guidance and materials (as needed) on the design of the portal, through the provision of information on the use of color, fonts, font sizes, and corporate logos.
- Company/university/partner will assist with promoting ridesharing within the company by:
- posting a link to the portal from a prominent location within the company/university/partner website to encourage use of the rideshare matching system; and /or
- enabling outreach staff to promote the portal through on-site transportation day events; and/or
- sending reminder emails occasionally to employees or students about the availability of the portal
- Company/university/partner agrees to exclusively promote the personalized portal.
- 511NY Rideshare staff may contact registrants to assist them with creating carpools/vanpools and/or to inform them about other 511 services and incentives programs.